With heart disease being the number one cause of death in America, it’s important to educate yourself about the choices you make to protect your heart health.
1. Heart disease is more deadly than all forms of cancer combined.
2. Coronary heart disease is the most common type of heart disease and can cause a heart attack, heart failure and arrhythmia.
3. To prevent heart disease, it is crucial to maintain a healthy weight and get enough exercise.
4. Important items to manage include: limiting alcohol usage, not smoking, managing blood pressure and maintaining low cholesterol.
5. People of all ages are affected by heart disease, yet the risk increases as you grow older. Be aware of heart attack signs and carefully follow instructions regarding any medications.
6. Diet is a major component in the prevention of heart disease. Fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, whole grains and limiting sodium helps maintain low blood pressure and cholesterol. It also contributes to weight loss.